POINTS OF INTEREST IN CHEROKEE, SPARTANBURG, AND UNION

SPARTANBURG COUNTY

Converse College Historic District
East Main Street
Opened 1889

Cowpens National Battlefield
Near intersection Hwy. 11 and Hwy. 110
Chesnee
(864) 461-2828

Commemorates the Battle of Cowpens fought on this site January 17, 1781.

Glenn Springs Historic District
Near Hwy. 56

In early 19th century, the spring gained fame for its healing waters.

Hampton Heights Historic District
Near South Church St.

The Hampton Heights Neighborhood was first settled by prominent Spartanburg business and professional people at the turn of the century. The earliest residences are large two-story house built on West Hampton Ave. Side streets developed 1910-1920 include a number of bungalows.

The Seay House (c. 1790)
106 Darby Road
(864) 576-6546

Believed to be the oldest house still standing in Spartanburg, the Jammie Seay House is built, in part, of hand-hewn logs on a field stone foundation. The County Historical Association, meticulously restored the house. The furnishings are original or of the period.  Admission Free. Hours by appointment.

The Price House (c. 1795)
1200 Oak View Farms Road ; Junction of roads 199/86/200, Woodruff
(864) 596-3501

Brick plantation house built by Thomas Price. Restored and furnished with items of the period. Admission Charged. Hours: Saturday 11 a.m.-5 p.m. (April-October); Sunday 2 p.m.-5 p.m. (year-round).

The Regional Museum of Spartanburg County
100 E. Main Street
(864) 596-3501

From antique dolls to historic battlefields; numerous permanent exhibits and collections.  Established in 1961. Admission charged.  Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 10 a.m.-noon, 3 p.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday 2 p.m.-5 p.m. (year-round).

Spartanburg Downtown Historic District

Morgan Square-Magnolia Street area.  Oldest business structure in city is within it: Vann Building, 1882, at 154 W. Main St.  A self guided walking tour is available as well as a variety of additional information.

Guided Walking Tour of Historic Downtown Spartanburg


Walnut Grove Plantation (c. 1765)
On Otts Shoals Road, 1 1/2 miles SE intersection of I-26 and Hwy. 221, Roebuck
(864) 576-6546

 The elegant manor house is  restored and authentically furnished. The landscaped grounds include a school, smokehouse, doctor's office, herb/flower garden, nature trail and family cemetery. Admission charged.  Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 11 a.m.-5 p.m. (April-October); Sunday 2 p.m.-5 p.m. (year-round); also by appointment year-round.

 Wofford College Historic District

Historic district includes Main Building and four of the original residences, 1851 - 1854.

List of  Places on the National Register of Historic Places:

Anderson's Mill
W of Spartanburg off SC 296, Spartanburg

Bivings--Converse House
1 Douglas St., Glendale

Bon Haven; also known as The Cleveland House
728 N. Church St., Spartanburg

Camp Hill; also known as Smith House
S of Glenn Springs on SC 215, Glenn Springs

Church of the Advent; also known as The Episcopal Church of the Advent
141 Advent St., Spartanburg

Cleveland Law Range
171 Magnolia St., Spartanburg

Converse College Historic District
580 E. Main St., Spartanburg

Cowpens Depot; also known as Cowpens Museum and Civic Center
120 Palmetto St., Cowpens

Duncan, Bishop William Wallace, House; also known as The DuPre House
249 N. Church St., Spartanburg

Evins-Bivings House; also known as Dr. James Bivings House
563 N. Church St., Spartanburg

Foster's Tavern
191 Cedar Spring Rd., Spartanburg

Franklin Hotel; also known as Finch Hotel
185 E. Main St., Spartanburg

Fredonia
E of Moore off U.S. 221, Moore

Fremont School; also known as Freemont School
600 Magnolia St., Spartanburg

Glenn Springs Historic District
SC 150 and Rich Hill Rd., Glenn Springs

Golightly-Dean House
SC 56, Spartanburg

Hampton Heights Historic District
Roughly bounded by Spring, Henry, Hydrick, Peronneau Sts., Hampton Dr., and Hampton Ave., (both sides), Spartanburg

Hotel Oregon
247 and 249 Magnolia St., Spartanburg

Ingleside; also known as Landrum-Jackson House
1 mi. N of Campobello on U.S. 176, Campobello

McMakin's Tavern; also known as Morgan-Stewart House
NW of Lyman off SC 358, Lyman

Montgomery, Walter Scott, House
314 S. Pine St., Spartanburg

Morgan, Daniel, Monument
Main and Church Sts., Spartanburg

Mountain Shoals Plantation; also known as James Nesbitt House
Jct. of U.S. 221 and SC 92, Enoree

New Hope Farm; also known as New Hope Post Office;Snoddy Farm
10088 Greenville Hwy., Wellford

Nicholls-Crook House
15 mi. SW of Spartanburg off U.S. 221, Spartanburg

Palmetto Theater
172 E. Main St., Spartanburg

Price's Post Office; also known as Price House;Thomas Price Plantation and Post Office
SE of Moore at jct. of CR 86, 199, 200, Moore

Reidville Academy Faculty House
Jct. of College and Main Sts., Reidville

Seay, Jammie, House
Darby Rd. off Crescent Ave., Spartanburg

Smith's Tavern
E of SC 49, Roebuck

Spartanburg Historic District
W. Main, Magnolia, Wall, Ezell, and Spring Sts., Spartanburg

Walker Hall
SE of Spartanburg on SC 56, Spartanburg

Walnut Grove Plantation 
8 mi. SE of Spartanburg, about 1 mi. E of jct. of U.S. 921 and I-26, Spartanburg

Williams Place
SW of Glenn Springs on SR 113, Glenn Springs

Wofford College Historic District
Wofford College campus, Spartanburg

 

CHEROKEE COUNTY

List of  Places on the National Register of Historic Places:

Winnie Davis School of History
1115 College Dr., Gaffney

Gaffney Commercial Historic District
Roughly N. Limestone St. between Cherokee Ave. and E. Meadow St., Gaffney

Gaffney Residential Historic District
Roughly bounded by Floyd Baker Blvd., Johnson and Thompson Sts., Rutledge and Fairview Aves., and Limestone St., Gaffney

Hicks, Zeno, House; also known as McKinney--Hicks Homeplace
US 221 and Mill Gap Rd., Chesnee

Irene Mill Finishing Plant; also known as Cherokee Finishing Company
W side of Buford St. between Liberty and Logan Sts., Gaffney

Jefferies House; also known as Jolly House
306 S. Grannard St., Gaffney

Kings Mountain National Military Park 
NW of Bethany on SC 161, Bethany

Sarratt House; also known as Taylor House
217 Marion St., Gaffney 310 W. Burford St., Gaffney

Settlemyer House; also known as Bailey House
915 N. Limehouse St., Gaffney

 

Home

 

2003 - 2019 The Pinckney District Chapter of SCGS

Tuesday, June 18, 2019